Thursday, May 13, 2010

Response to AP English essay question

I took the AP English Language exam a few days ago, and I think I did very well. What this blog is about isn't how well I did, but how I feel about the synthesis essay question. The question provided sources for and against the integration of technology into schools as a form of teaching and doing work. I wrote my essay in favor of this, because I've used computers my entire life and think school using just computers would be infinitely more effective. What bothered me is that the only arguments against the integration all say the same thing: computers stunt children's imaginations and make them unable to appreciate things like books and symphonies, that require focus. I think this argument is complete bullshit and demeaning to the human psyche. Computers, especially the internet, have not stunted me in my intellectual growth at ALL, and I've been using one my entire life. The Internet has, in fact, served to expand my horizons and introduce me to new concepts, music, and people that I would never have known otherwise. I'm an atheist because of the internet. I'm better at critical thinking because of the internet. I've learned more from the internet than I have in the past 4 or 5 years of public schooling. I really don't think I'd be any different if the internet didn't exist, merely my means of learning new information and communicating would be.

I understand that old people are generally opposed to change and see the growing use of computers to perform tasks humans do as anathema to what they grew up with. They have to understand that what you grow up with is not always going to be the best method of doing things, as I will have to understand when I am old.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome.
    People say that the internet is making society less social. Its not. Its connecting people with similar thoughts and feelings. If you're not talking to someone, you're reading someone else's thoughts and feelings or sharing your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the internet is connecting people more than isolating them. I talk to people now from all over the world that I otherwise would have never met.

    Plus, I can get sports scores in like 2 seconds! ;P

    ReplyDelete