Saturday, May 8, 2010

We lost

My band was in a battle of the bands last night at the local Methodist church. There were nine bands, we were fourth to play. I thought perhaps there was one band that could compete with us in the first three, until I got on stage. My band destroyed; the crowd loved us and energy in the room was super-high. We got so many compliments afterward that I was sure we were a shoo-in for first. The seventh band up was quite good, and what they lacked in songwriting they made up for in getting the crowd on their side. With their performance, I would have been happy with second place (as both first and second place got to play at the local teen venue in downtown Nashville, Rocketown). The results came in... and two of the shittiest bands got second and third, and an average band came in first. I was very confused and upset, but I figured out that all three bands had one thing in common: their members all went to that church. Two of the four judges worked at the church, knew the kids, and purposefully gave them higher scores, despite my band receiving the highest marks from the other two judges. So we are left with no gig, no prize or anything. And you know what I think?

This reminds me a whole lot of the trial of Barabbas and Jesus, when the Jews sent Jesus to his death and freed a murderer.

GO WITH ME ON THIS. The Jews are the biased judges that robbed us of our prize. Pontius Pilate stands for the two noble judges who pushed for our victory. Barabbas is the band that won wrongfully. And my band- we are Jesus Christ, sent to die for all of mankind. The common theme: RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION

Think about it.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's quite obvious, the whole Barabbas and Jesus comparison, you didn't have to explain it. Church people are Hypocrite.

    Or just going with the "treat people the way you were treated"...
    Good luck in the next one (which hopefully won't be have Church people as judges).

    ReplyDelete